Read this post fast and you might just make it to the end before another quarter of a billion emails are sent.
The chart on the left is shown tall and thin because email activity is so dominant it was the only way of getting the bars for most other channels to show up even just a little.
Each bar shows the activity per second, such as number of emails sent per second, or how many WhatsApp messages.
If you’re a numbers person and prefer tabular data the numbers behind the bar chart are in the table below.
All figures are counts per second, ie how many emails sent per second, number of Facebook posts per second and so on.
The data sources below were used to create the above chart. The articles cited contain more details and stats, in case you wish to find out more about what happens in a second of internet activity.
- http://scoop.intel.com/what-happens-in-an-internet-minute/ – source of email stat, for number sent per second but also covers further channels.
- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/peter-diamandis/64-billion-messages-in-24_b_5160021.html – source for WhatApp message count.
- http://www.statisticbrain.com/google-searches/ – information about Google searches per second for the last 7+ years.
- https://zephoria.com/social-media/top-15-valuable-facebook-statistics/ – 20 Facebook stats including posts per second.
- https://blog.twitter.com/2013/new-tweets-per-second-record-and-how – source of Tweets per second.
- http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/19/snapchat-reportedly-sees-more-daily-photos-than-facebook/ – SnapChat message count.
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2538488/SMS-takes-seat-IM-number-texts-sent-Britain-falls-time.html – UK and worldwide SMS volume sent